When a word document is created with Microsoft Word, it attaches an Author and/or the last modifier to the document. The author or last modifier will be the user that is logged into the computer when it was created or last modified.
When this document is shared with others, the Author or last modifier name are still available to see in the document’s properties.
But sometimes, you may wish to share a document without disclosing the Author or last modifier.
The instructions below will show you how to remove the Author or last modifier name in a Microsoft Word document. Microsoft Word 2013 was used for this instruction.
How to inspect Author Details in a Word Document
- Right click on your Word document file and select Properties at the bottom of the window
- Select the Details tab at the top of the new window
- You will see the Author and Last saved by names in the Origin section of the Details tab.
How to Remove Author Using the Document Inspection in Word
- Open the Word Document you want to remove the Author
- Click on FILE at the top left corner
- You will see the Author and last Modified By on the last side of the window in the Related People section of the new window.
- Click on the drop down arrow on Check for Issues icon on the left, and select Inspect Document
- Click on Inspect Document to display the document inspection window
- Make sure Document Properties and Personal Information option is selected by a tick
- Click on Inspect
The inspection process will start, and when it is finished, a window is displayed with the option to Remove All personal information.
- Click on Remove All to remove all personal information from the Word document
- Close the document Inspection window
The Related People section of the document described above will no longer have the Author or Last Saved By names in the document.
I hope you find the information helpful in protecting your personal information when sharing word documents.