If you find that the remote key fob for your Kia car is no longer locking and unlocking your car, the first thing you should do is to check and replace the battery. This may fix the problem if it is a case of low battery.
However, even after you have replaced the battery, your Kia car remote key fob may still not be working. This was the case with my Kia Ceed 3. The problem started with the remote key fob working intermittently, which was very annoying. I replaced the battery, and the key fob was still intermittently locking or unlocking my Kia Ceed 3, until it finally stopped working altogether. I tried with my spare key fob that I have not used for a while, but that also was not working at all.
I did some research at this point, and learnt that my Kia remote key fob may have lost the programming with my car. This would have cost me quite a bit, had I taken the key fob to a Kia dealership for reprogramming. However, I got it fixed in minutes with the following steps I described below!
How to Reset Your Kia Remote Key Fob
1) Enter your Kia car from the driver’s side
2) Ensure all the car doors are closed
3) Insert your Kia car key in the ignition
4) Turn the car key from OFF to ON Repeatedly, until you hear the door locks cycle. You may or may not hear this. I was not sure if I heard it with my Kia Ceed 3, and I repeated the off and on process anyway.
5) Stop step #4 with the car key in the ON position
6) Press the lock or unlock button on your Kia key fob. If either button work, your key fob has been successfully programmed. My key fob buttons did not work at this stage, but I carried on to the next step.
7) Turn your car key to the OFF position, and remove it from the ignition.
8) Press your LOCK or the UNLOCK buttons on your Kia key fob. It should start working normally at this stage.
The steps above fixed my main Kia Remote Key fob that has completely stopped locking and unlocking my car. And when I tried my spare key fob, it also starting working without going through the process described above.
I hope you find this information useful, and if you do, please come back and let others know by leaving a comment below. You may also comment on other solutions that worked for you.
PS: If you find that your Audio will not switch on after successfully reprogramming your Kia Key fob, you may have the same problem I experienced. To fix the Audio problem, follow my steps in Kia Ceed Radio Cannot Turn on and Only Shows Date, Time and Temperature.